Ingredients55 m servings 151
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in cracked wheat and simmer for 10 minutes; let cool to lukewarm. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Pour the cracked wheat mixture into a large bowl. Stir in the butter, salt, molasses, honey, milk, yeast mixture, whole wheat flour and 2 cups of the bread flour; stir well to combine. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
- When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into two equal pieces and form into loaves. Place the loaves into two lightly greased 9x5 inch loaf pans. Cover the loaves with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven 30 to 35 minutes, or until the loaves sound hollow when tapped on top and bottom. Cool on racks.
Per Serving: 151 calories; 1.8 29.5 4.4 4 364 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 28
This is the best Cracked Wheat Bread Recipe I had ever used. I cut the All Purpose Flour down to a bit over 3 cups for that soft texture and great crumb... The 4 cups is good but a bit more den...
This is an incredibly light, tasteful bread. I let it rise for almost a full hour and a half the second time and the dough tripled... making it even more airy! Since my family has been on this...
I have searched for a great wheat bread recipe for years- I've finally found it! Unbelievable texture and the flavor (with a little extra molasses on my part!) is heavnly. My family loves it a...
With a soft texture and a firm yet giving crust, this Cracked Wheat bread recipe sure pleased our taste buds. This was the first recipe we used with cracked wheat and it was delicious. Because o...
I used all whole wheat flour. The loaves tasted just slightly sweet. Having to cook the cracked wheat won't slow you down too much.
I have made several wheat breads in our bread machine -- most from "all recipes". This is by far the best. My husband rated it "outstanding!" Thanks for sharing!
Great bread, Nancy. Wonderful dense texture but with a light and fluffy crumb. Nutty flavor, and best of all pretty healthy. I sub'd canola oil for margarine. Thanks for sharing.
very easy recipe. wonderful texture and flavor. also makes great dinner rolls.