Ingredients6 h 40 m servings 149
- Combine cucumbers, onions, pickling salt, and garlic in a large pot. Place enough cracked ice atop the cucumber mixture to cover by at least 2 inches.
- Cover the pot with a lid and refrigerate 3 to 12 hours. Drain all liquid from the mixture. Discard any remaining pieces of ice. Remove the garlic and set aside.
- Bring the sugar, vinegar, mustard seed, turmeric, and celery seed to a boil in a separate large saucepan, stirring frequently. Add the cucumber and onion mixture; return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook at a simmer until cucumbers and onion are soft, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pack the cucumber and onion mixture into the hot, sterilized jars, filling the jars to within 1/2 inch of the top. Run a knife or a thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids and screw on rings.
- Place jars in a canning pot with at least an inch of water covering all of the jars and boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove the jars from the stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Once cool, press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). If you have a can that does not seal, just stick it in the fridge and eat that jar first. Store in a cool, dark area, and wait at least 3 hours before opening.
Per Serving: 149 calories; 0.4 35.9 1.4 0 1235 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 6
This was the first time I have made pickles in several years but this was an easy recipe to follow and it tastes great!
These are the best bread and butters ever! So delicious they will not stay in your pantry for very long!
These are absolutely delicious, everyone who tastes them loves them..Yes I will make again!!