Hot Dog Chili for Chili Dogs
The Chowdah Chicks
Ingredients1 h 45 m servings 282
- Place ancho chiles into 1 cup boiling water and set aside until softened, about 15 minutes. While chiles are soaking, place bacon in a large saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain excess grease but reserve 2 tablespoons bacon drippings in the pan.
- Cook and stir white and red onion in bacon drippings with bacon over medium heat with a pinch of salt until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes; stir in garlic and cook until softened, about 1 more minute. Pour in 3 cups boiling water and stir in beef chuck, mixing the meat with the water to break it apart. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Stir in tomato paste and beef bouillon granules until the granules dissolve; allow mixture to simmer while you complete remaining steps.
- Place soaked ancho chiles and their liquid, spicy brown mustard, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, garlic powder, adobo seasoning, and paprika into a blender and blend until smooth; pour mixture into the chili. Use a little water to dissolve remaining mixture in blender and pour into the chili.
- Bring chili to a slow boil over medium-low heat and stir in kidney beans and masa harina. Reduce heat to low; allow to simmer until thick and the flavors have blended, at least 45 more minutes. Season with salt and black pepper. If chili is too thin, mix in more masa harina.
- Cook's Note:
- I always start out with the goal to make a batch and freeze some of it but before the chili is even finished, I have people standing around the kitchen staring into the pot asking "When will it be ready?" So I never have leftovers of this chili. Spoon it over your hot dogs and it should have a thick enough consistency to coat the top of the dog nicely but not slob all over you while you eat it.
Per Serving: 282 calories; 14.8 20.4 19 52 473 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
This Hot Dog Chili really works well. I found the other review confusing. I used slab thick cut bacon so that might have given me the edge with the bacon flavor. I also used beef bouillon pac...
As the first reviewer, I feel really, REALLY bad, but we did not like this at all...The concept was great and I had high hopes, but it fell short for us. We felt it had a bitter after taste and ...