Vegan Lemon Scones with Chia
Ingredients40 m servings 176
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine whole wheat flour, oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, chia seeds, and white sugar in a bowl. Mix in coconut oil in until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in soy milk, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons lemon zest until a dough forms.
- Transfer dough to a bowl and knead in bowl until workable, about 8 times. Gently roll into a ball and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Press into a circle about 1 inch thick; cut into 10 wedges. Place scones onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until edges are lightly golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Mix confectioners' sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon lemon zest in a small bowl. Drizzle or spread frosting on top of scones while still warm.
- Cook's Note:
- I grind oatmeal in my blender to make my own oat flour. Glaze will be thick, but will become runny as soon as you use it on the hot scones. You'll only need a very little bit to cover the top surface of each.
Per Serving: 176 calories; 5.5 30.8 3.2 0 238 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 19
I made this recipe pretty nearly, but not quite. I changed the 1/4 cup white sugar to Organic Coconut Palm Sugar and enhanced the sweetness with 1 T Stevia/1 T xylitol. I also reduced the amou...
I made this recipe today and we (my 2.5 year old son and I) loved it! The lemon in the glaze was a bit overwhelming so I added a splash of vanilla but other than that, I didn't change a thing. T...
My kids loved these scones, and they are picky eaters! The texture is a little more crunchy than the usual suspects, due to the chia seeds and the flour. Leave some honey on the table, in cas...
So yummy! I was looking for a recipe that I could use some of my chia seeds in, and this one is just perfect for a breakfast treat or brunch. I just ground up some oats as the author suggested (...
I will say I'm not a baker nor a vegan so I was pleasantly surprised when these came out great on my first try! I couldn't find oat flour at my grocery store so I subbed tapioca flour but follo...
I came across this recipe and surprisingly already every ingredient! Although, I did use Trader Joes Unbleached all purpose flour and orange zest instead of lemon. The combination of the Orange ...
Fantastic! I made these to take to a staff meeting and they were gone before the meeting was over. Loved the drizzle and lemon was sweet and tart. Chia was a great alternative to poppy seeds.