Chunky Fish and Shrimp Chowder
Ingredients2 h 5 m servings 350
- Mix lemon juice, basil, 1 tablespoon onion powder, and salt in a large bowl; toss the shrimp, grouper, and tilapia in the marinade. Remove fish fillets and allow shrimp to continue to marinate.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over high heat and cook grouper and tilapia fillets just until outsides are white, about 3 minutes. Remove fish with a slotted spoon. Cook and stir shrimp in the same skillet until firm and white on the outside, 3 to 5 minutes, sprinkling shrimp with black pepper and 1 more tablespoon onion powder as they cook.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large soup pot; cook and stir onion and garlic until onion is translucent and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer shrimp to the soup pot and mix in potatoes, carrots, zucchinis, sweet corn, and cilantro. Stir in water to cover and bring soup to a boil; simmer over medium-low heat until potatoes and carrots are tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in skim milk and coconut cream. Gently mix in grouper and tilapia fillets, bring chowder to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Simmer chowder until fish are no longer translucent and break apart into chunks, about 10 more minutes.
- For a thicker chowder, scoop up about 1/2 cup of soup into a small bowl and whisk whole wheat flour into liquid until smooth. Stir the flour mixture into chowder and let simmer until thickened, about 5 more minutes.
Per Serving: 350 calories; 7.6 35.6 35.4 138 495 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
This is a very easy & tasty chowder. I used extra large shrimp & pollock for the white fish. Instead of adding water I substituted sodium reduced chicken broth. The chowder is so chunky you don'...
I used this recipe as inspiration for my own version, and it was delicious! I had some tilapia that I wanted to use up so I just made up the portions as I went and used veggies I had on hand, an...