Deb's Bread and Butter Pickles
Ingredients14 d 3 h 30 m servings 116 cals
- Stir 2 quarts water and salt in a large pot until salt is dissolved. Submerge cucumbers in the water. Add ice to the water to keep cold. Let cucumbers soak for 2 hours.
- Drain salt water from pot. Rinse and drain cucumber slices twice.
- Stir sugar, 4 cups water, apple cider vinegar, turmeric, mustard seed, and celery seed together in a large pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; add cucumber slices. Simmer until the cucumbers are completely hot, but do not bring to a boil, about 10 minutes.
- Sterilize canning jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pack the cucumbers into the hot, sterilized jars, filling the jars to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a knife or a thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids, and screw on rings.
- Let cucumbers pickle 2 weeks before eating, shaking each jar once daily.
- Editor's Note:
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of the salt water. The actual amount of salt consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 116 calories; 0.2 g fat; 28.5 g carbohydrates; 0.8 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 6 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 44
This is a very good recipe! I make it just like you make it and sometimes I add some zing by putting one sliced with seeds habanero in each jar. This is so simple and easy. I can't believe th...
These are really delicious! Best pickles I've have ever had! They are like a sweet treat. I used 20 good sized pickling cucumbers which made 12 pints (could have done 11 pints). I sealed the ja...
I have just recently started canning and making pickles. This recipe is easy to understand and follow and the end result was perfection. I agree A+ recipe. My go to for pickles from now on. And ...
These are phenomenal!!!! Made recipe exactly as written and they came out like store bought pickles.....even better!
Being new to canning I found this to be one of the easiest recipes ever. They have wonderful flavor and it also allows variety in adding cauliflower or peppers to give it a little extra. I'm so...
I have used this recipe three times this growing season but reduced the overall quantity. Not a big fan of B&B pickles bit this recipe is growing on me. I have added sliced carrots, onions and...