Zucchini Casserole with Mint and Parsley
"This dish was inspired by 2 enormous zucchinis given to us by our neighbors. When split in half they were too large for my deep lasagna casserole dish! After reading several different recipes, I opted to try for a variation on my stuffed bell pepper recipe and the result was heavenly. Granddaughters 4 and 8 asked for seconds! This recipe can also be vegetarian; just omit the meat."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h servings 251
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease the inside of a casserole dish.
- Scoop pulp from the center of each zucchini half, leaving a 1/2-inch deep shell. Chop pulp and reserve. Place zucchini shells in a pot of lightly salted water; bring to a boil. Cook until zucchini are slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and arrange zucchini in bottom of prepared casserole dish.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onions and zucchini pulp until onions are softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper. Add rice and reserved juice from canned tomatoes; cook until liquid is nearly evaporated, stirring regularly, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Stir water in 1/2 cup increments into rice mixture until rice has absorbed all the water and is almost tender, 10 to 15 more minutes. Add mint, parsley, wine, and sausages; cook until heated through and rice is tender, adding additional water if needed, 5 to 10 minutes. Spoon rice mixture over zucchini halves in casserole dish.
- Bake casserole in preheated oven until zucchini are tender, about 20 minutes.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- The amount of squash depends on the size of your casserole dish. Use enough to fill it. I used a large lasagna dish. The meat will fill an entire layer above the squash making it more like a layer casserole than just stuffed zucchinis.
- Meat can be omitted or substituted with ground lamb, beef, chicken, or other. I made this in the morning so I wouldn't have to cook during the heat of the day, and individual servings reheated nicely in the microwave.
Per Serving: 251 calories; 13.9 24.5 6.6 15 492 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1