Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 420
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Mix tomato sauce and sloppy joe seasoning together in a bowl.
- Finely chop the usable 'meat' from the removed tops of each red bell pepper. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir red pepper pieces and garlic until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Cook and stir ground beef and 1/2 cup beef broth into the red pepper-garlic mixture until ground beef crumbles are browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain off excess fat from the cooked ground beef. Add instant rice, 1/2 cup beef broth, and Worcestershire sauce; stir to combine. Simmer until the rice becomes tender and absorbs most of the liquid, about 10 minutes. Add about 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce mixture, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, salt, and black pepper to the beef mixture; stir to combine.
- Ladle about half the remaining tomato sauce mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Stuff each of the red bell peppers with ground beef mixture; arrange in the baking dish. Ladle the remaining tomato sauce mixture over each bell pepper. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until filling is cooked through, about 25 minutes. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese over the peppers. Bake until cheese is melted and bubbling, about 10 more minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- You can also add 1/2 cup of cooked rice to the beef mixture just before stuffing the peppers. Omit the last 1/2 cup of beef broth if you do this as the mixture will become too soupy.
- You can use all red bell peppers, or all green bell peppers, or mix and match.
Per Serving: 420 calories; 21.5 31 25.9 70 1935 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
Keeper alert! This is going on rotation! I did not have sloppy joe seasoning so I used 1/2 teaspoon each: cornstarch, onion powder and dry mustard. And used green can parm instead of good sh...
This recipe is definitely a keeper. One of the best stuffed pepper recipes I've had in a long time.