Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 28 m servings 267
Original recipe yields 25 servings (50 tamales)
- Soak corn husks in water for at least 1 hour. Drain.
- Combine green chiles, lemon juice, hot sauce, 1 garlic clove, and onion in a blender and blend. Add olive oil slowly, blending sauce on low speed.
- Place tilapia on a griddle over medium heat. Top fillets with roasted red peppers and 1 bay leaf each. Pour sauce evenly over the fish. Add 3 garlic cloves, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Cook for 5 minutes; flip and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes more. Remove sauce and reserve in a bowl. Transfer tilapia to a separate bowl and mash.
- Combine green cabbage, red cabbage, vinegar, and mustard in a bowl. Combine the reserved sauce, masa, lard, and baking powder in a large bowl; mix well. Add water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until the mixture is as thick as biscuit dough. Divide dough into 50 equal-sized balls.
- Flatten balls into circles using a tortilla press or 2 cutting boards and 2 sheets of waxed paper. Place a circle into a soaked and drained corn husk; add 1 1/2 ounces of fish mix in a line parallel with the husk. Top with a small amount of cabbage. Fold sides of dough over the filling and roll the husk around the tamale, folding in 1 end after rolling. Repeat with remaining husks, fish, and cabbage.
- Combine water, chili powder, and remaining 2 garlic cloves in a saucepan with a steamer basket; bring to a boil. Stand tamales in basket with the folded ends down. Cover and steam for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and remove tamales from husks.
You might also like
Per Serving: 267 calories; 6.3 30.5 22.6 34 442 Full nutrition