Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 38 m servings 552
Original recipe yields 30 servings (30 tamales)
- Pour about 3/4 the masa harina into a large pot. Add water in batches, mixing until a moderately thin batter forms.
- Combine tomato, green bell pepper, onion, cilantro, cumin, and bouillon in a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into the large pot with the batter and season with salt. Pour about 5 cups of this combined mixture into a smaller pot; add tomato paste and stir until it is an even red color.
- Pour 2 cups oil into the large pot of batter; pour remaining 1 cup oil into the smaller pot of red batter. Bring both pots to a boil, stirring continuously to prevent burning. Cook until flavors set, 3 to 5 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Cut banana leaves into 12x15-inch rectangles. Spoon 1 cup regular batter and 1/4 cup red batter into the center of each leaf. Add small amounts of pork, potatoes, rice, and peas. Fold leaf over the filling several times; fold sides in. Wrap twine around tamale to hold in place.
- Place tamales in a large pot; cover halfway with water. Cover and cook over medium heat until filling has thickened, about 1 hour.
- Cook's Note:
- After 1 hour of cooking, remove a tamale, let cool for 5 minutes, and unroll onto a plate to see if it has thickened. If the tamale is still a little runny, return it to the pot and continue cooking them all for 20 to 30 minutes longer.
Per Serving: 552 calories; 26.5 59 21.5 39 191 Full nutrition