Creamy Wild Mushroom Ragout
Ingredients55 m servings 240
- Heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in mushrooms with a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until any liquid evaporates and mushrooms are light brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add 1/2 tablespoon butter and shallots; cook, stirring, until mushrooms are caramelized and almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drizzle in Cognac and vinegar; cook until liquid evaporates, 1 minute. Stir in creme fraiche.
- Stir in chicken broth, marjoram, and salt and black pepper to taste. Reduce heat to medium-low, cook until slightly thickened and mushrooms are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Editor's Note:
- Chef John uses his homemade Creme Fraiche in this recipe.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 240 calories; 19.5 8 5.9 53 170 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 9
This was the first time that I can recall having used fresh marjoram, and we loved the flavor--though I went a little short on it because I wasn't sure about it. I watched the video first, and ...
I made this with the ingredients the recipe called for, but I wanted more sauce so I doubled the broth and creme fraiche. It didn't thicken as I had hoped so next time I will use a little less b...
delicious! I didn't have the creme fraiche, so (based on another recipe) I used ~1 cup sour cream, one clove of garlic, one onion and one shallot with 40 oz of mushrooms (white and shitake). i c...
This recipe was very good. I did wind up making the creme fraiche- which was really good but you could easily substitute sour cream and come up with very similar results. I added the leftovers...
Fabulous recipe! My husband picked some gorgeous Chicken Mushrooms this past weekend and I had no idea how to cook them (besides the boringly obvious butter saute of course) and once again, Chef...
1st time, had to improvise a little substituting sour cream for the creme fr.. and I used shitake and oyster mushrooms. Tasty along with osso buco and polenta.
Served this over polenta(4cups/12cups fluid, 9x13 pan) so I needed a mushroom ragout with a little more sauce. Added 2 cups of vegetable broth with 2 T. flour whisked in to thicken(would have d...