Ingredients35 m servings 806 cals
- Stir butter and garlic in stockpot over medium heat until butter begins to brown. Remove garlic and discard.
- Stir shallots into browned butter. Cook and stir until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Pour sherry over shallots in the stockpot and bring to a boil while scraping any browned bits off of the bottom of the pot. Simmer until liquid is reduced by half, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Pour reserved oyster liquor, milk, and cream into the stockpot; bring mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in oysters; cook until oyster edges begin to ruffle, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in parsley; season with sea salt to taste. Ladle into bowls and garnish with sweet paprika and oyster crackers.
- Cook's Note:
- If using canned oysters, drain the oysters over a bowl to collect the liquid. Use this liquid in place of oyster liquor.
Per Serving: 806 calories; 51.8 g fat; 46.4 g carbohydrates; 35.9 g protein; 295 mg cholesterol; 1148 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 23
This is my first time making oyster soup and most likely not my last. I love the flavors and the simplicity of this soup. Probably one of the best seafood soups out there. I used a 16 oz bag of ...
This recipe was very tasty and uncomplicated to prepare. I used a dry white wine because I'm not crazy about sherry; I also used whole milk and half-n-half instead of the heavy cream, one tblsp ...
We loved this! I had been using a recipe out of a cookbook and decided to give this one a try. I don't know Grandpa - but his oyster stew is fabulous! Two of us ate every last drop! We had fre...
I made this for Christmas and it was a HUGE hit. We had a lot of oyster liquor, and I did not think we would use it all, but I really did end up needing it. I added a little bit of Old Bay but ...
Love this. Oyster stew is a Christmas Eve tradition in our house too. I put a splash of worchestershire and tabasco sauce in mine.
I tried this recipe to use up the lightly cooked oysters left over from a New Year's oyster roast, and it was wonderful! I threw in a few small dried red chilis with the shallots (comparable to ...
So good!! Fresh oysters really brought out the flavor. I made the recipe as is, minus fresh parsley because we were out, but that's just a garnish anyway. I am definitively saving this recipe t...