G's Tres Leches Cake
Ingredients2 h 5 m servings 385 cals
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Cream 1 1/2 cup sugar and unsalted butter in a large bowl until mixture is fluffy and pale yellow, 3 to 5 minutes. Mix 6 egg yolks into the butter mixture, stirring in each one before adding the next. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl; gradually stir the flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture, alternating with 1 1/2 cup milk, to make a smooth batter. Stir in almond extract.
- Beat 6 egg whites with cream of tartar in a bowl with an electric mixer until frothy; gradually beat in 2 tablespoons sugar until the egg whites form stiff peaks. Gently fold the egg white mixture into the batter, retaining as much volume as possible. Pour the cake batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes. Cool cake completely in pan on a rack.
- Whisk sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and 2 tablespoons whole milk in a bowl. Use a large fork or skewer to poke holes all over the cake; pour the three-milk mixture over the cake.
- Beat cream with 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract until the whipped cream holds stiff peaks. Top the cake with whipped cream; refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour. Refrigerate leftovers. Cake is better a day or two after making.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 385 calories; 21.1 g fat; 42.7 g carbohydrates; 7.2 g protein; 121 mg cholesterol; 223 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 32
I have heard of tres leche cakes for a long time..but never tried one..till now. I am an instant fan..this cake is the best thing I have put in my mouth in a long time. I am picky when it comes ...
I have had tres leches cake before from a a store and bakery-it was good..but then i came across this cake recipe..omg i am Latina and we love our tres leches cake-made this cake last year for m...
Very good recipe. I made it exactly as written. Next time, I would omit the almond flavoring or reduce it to maybe a quarter teaspoon, it's just not to my taste (to much like Christmas cut out c...
I had never heard of Tres Leches cake and this was my first time making it. I was surprised that no one else noted that the cake would be totally submerged after pouring the three-milk mixture o...
My god woman. First things first.. That's the best sponge cake recipe I've ever made. It was flawless! I can see this as is being so lovely on a hot day straight out of the fridge. I'm in IL in ...
Oh my gosh, was this good. I took this to a Cinco De Mayo party for dessert. Everyone raved about it. It was a little time consuming to make but it was well worth it. I made it exactly as the re...
I've had another recipe from this site printed and ready to go for about two weeks. It had hundreds of reviews, but for some reason, at the last minute, I had second thoughts and decided to look...
I served this cake for a Dia de los Muertos fundraiser dinner and it was a big hit. I've made other recipes for Tres Leche cake but I prefer the flavor and texture of this recipe. I didn't chang...