Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 20 m servings 560 cals
Original recipe yields 8 servings (1 9-inch cake)
- Mix cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, mace, allspice, cloves, and ginger together in a bowl to make speculaas spice mix.
- Pulse almonds in a food processor until finely ground. Add 3/4 cup white sugar, egg, 1 teaspoon almond extract, and 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest. Pulse until mixture forms a ball.
- Combine speculaas spice mix, flour, brown sugar, orange zest, 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until dough resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk, vanilla extract, and 1/4 teaspoon almond extract; mix until dough forms a smooth ball.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces. Roll out into circles on a lightly floured work surface. Press 1 circle over the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of the lined pan. Spread almond mixture on top. Cover with second circle and seal edges over filling.
- Mix 2 tablespoons white sugar, water, and 1/4 teaspoon almond extract in a small bowl to make a thick paste. Brush paste over top of the dough. Arrange slivered almonds in a decorative pattern on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool before removing the outer ring of the springform pan, about 30 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- The easiest way to blanch almonds is to boil water and dump almonds into boiling water for 20 seconds, drain and rinse in cold water and peel. You can also put them in large bowl and just grab almonds and squeeze a few times. This will get most skins off quickly. The rest just takes time to do.
Per Serving: 560 calories; 29 g fat; 68.8 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 69 mg cholesterol; 256 mg sodium. Full nutrition