Sweet Damper with Dried Fruit
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"I have cooked this recipe a hundred of times and it is a real hit with kids and adults alike. Traditionally I have always used a camp oven, which is a cast-iron pot with a lid. You can even cook this at home in your conventional oven. The ingredients are very traditional and generally found in everyone's pantry. These have been proven to last much longer in very hot conditions and even in the humid tropics. Dampers are traditionally served with a cup of black tea, however just use a drink of your own choice. Serve with butter and golden syrup, treacle, refined molasses, or jam."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 13 m servings 218
Original recipe yields 12 servings (1 loaf)
- Build a campfire and allow the fire to burn until it has accumulated a bed of coals. Rake the coals into a flat bed on one side of the fire. Grease the inside of your camp oven lightly with 1/2 teaspoon butter and place it on the coals, preheating it to about 425 degrees F (218 degrees C).
- Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, 2 tablespoons powdered milk, and salt together in a bowl. Rub butter gently through the mixture. Mix raisins in by hand. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Add cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing well after each addition, until dough stops sticking to the sides of the bowl.
- Dissolve 1 1/2 teaspoons powdered milk in an equal amount of water in a bowl.
- Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead gently a few times. Shape into a rough circle or loaf about 1 1/2 inches thick. Place in the preheated camp oven. Brush the top of the damper with the dissolved milk.
- Cover and bake over the fire until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Lift the lid with a metal tent peg and remove the damper carefully. Cover with a dry towel, and let rest in a warm place for 3 to 4 minutes before serving.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use any dried fruit instead of the raisins.
- Instead of one large loaf, the may be split into 4 or 6 pieces to make individual servings, like bread rolls.
- If using a conventional oven, bake the damper on a greased baking sheet.
Per Serving: 218 calories; 1.6 46.4 5.3 3 442 Full nutrition