Holiday Lebkuchen (German Spice Cookies)
Ingredients8 h 55 m servings 188 cals
- Cover almonds with boiling water in a bowl. Let stand for 1 to 2 minutes and drain. Rinse with cold water and drain again. Pat almonds dry and remove skin. Allow almonds to dry on paper towels.
- Place half the almonds in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Add apricots and dates; pulse until fruit is chopped. Reserve remaining 1 cup almonds.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, cloves, cardamom, and salt in bowl. Beat eggs, brown sugar, honey, molasses, water, almond extract, orange zest, and 1 teaspoon lemon zest in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add apricot mixture, blending until evenly distributed. Gradually stir in flour mixture on medium speed until dough comes together. Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to about 1/2-inch thick. Cut out cookies with a 2 1/2 to 3-inch diameter cookie cutter. Arrange cookies about 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Lightly press 3 almonds into each cookie with tips towards the center to create a star pattern.
- Bake in preheated oven until cookies begin to brown, about 12 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, whisk confectioners' sugar, milk, and 1 teaspoon lemon zest in a bowl until glaze is smooth. Brush warm cookies with glaze and allow cookies to cool completely.
Per Serving: 188 calories; 4.5 g fat; 34.8 g carbohydrates; 3.9 g protein; 10 mg cholesterol; 61 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
I made these lebkuchen for my classmates for German class. I like the taste of citron but it's not available for a few weeks yet. I was not so sure about using apricots and dates but I have to...
I made a bunch of these to be included with other various cookies as xmas gifts. I love cookies with lots of cloves/cardamom/nutmeg. Very seasonal flavors and so this seemed like a great one. I'...