Black Lemon Chicken Salad
Ingredients2 h 30 m servings 321
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Drizzle vegetable oil in a large roasting pan.
- Whisk lemon juice, olive oil, black pepper, salt, cayenne pepper, and cumin in large bowl.
- Place chicken in lemon mixture and turn it several times to coat each side. Place chicken breast side down in the marinade, and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Place chicken breast side up in the prepared roasting pan. Pour about 1/4 of of marinade into the chicken cavity. Brush remaining marinade on the top and sides of the chicken.
- Sprinkle rosemary, thyme, and salt over top of chicken.
- Tie chicken legs together with kitchen twine.
- Roast chicken uncovered in the preheated oven for 45 minutes; remove from oven and spoon juices accumulated in the pan over chicken. Pour 1 cup of chicken broth into the pan and continue roasting until chicken skin is browned and meat is no longer pink, about 30 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Remove from the oven, spoon juices accumulated in the pan over chicken again, and cover loosely with aluminum foil for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a platter, draining any juices from the cavity into the pan; cover chicken with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Set the roasting pan on the stove top over medium-high heat; add 3/4 cup chicken broth and boil, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is reduced by about half, about 10 minutes.
- Slice chicken into 8 pieces and serve over shredded lettuce in a large bowl. Pour 2 to 3 tablespoons of pan sauce over the top, tossing to slightly wilt the lettuce leaves. Serve with additional sauce on the side.
- Cook's Note:
- Use a large roasting pan that can be placed over 1 or 2 burners after the chicken has roasted, for preparing the sauce.
Per Serving: 321 calories; 28.8 1.6 13.4 53 193 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 16
Delicious chicken recipe! I Only changed it a tiny bit. I didn't have any thyme, so I just left it out, but I added minced garlic to the marinade, and stuffed the chicken with half a lemon, hal...
This recipe was a hit with me & my family. Next time I make this, and there will be a next time, I will roast the chicken at a higher temp so it will brown better. I used fresh rosemary and thym...
I have made this recipe a few times. Both as written and with my own additions. My family prefers double the cumin and cayenne, an addition of garlic along with the spices, and a bit of cream wh...
Made this recipe with a pre-cut up chicken. Really tasty, though it didn't seem necessary to add the chicken broth--had plenty of juice/sauce. I think the addition of a little garlic might be ...
Loved it, and for those of you who have a convection oven and have never learned to use it (if there are any of you!) by all means learn to use the convection ROAST feature. The chicken will co...
Delicious! Made it for dinner tonight and it was a huge hit. The only thing I changed is that I didn't use rosemary as the family doesn't like it and I used garlic powder instead. The chicken w...