Ingredients6 h 5 m servings 624 cals
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Mix paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, sea salt, and cayenne pepper in a bowl until thoroughly combined. Set spice mixture aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir mushrooms and shallots until mushrooms have released their liquid, 5 to 8 minutes. Set mushroom mixture aside.
- Melt 1/4 cup margarine in a large skillet over medium-high heat and stir in 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce. Rub beef brisket thoroughly with spice mixture; place brisket into the margarine and Worcestershire sauce.
- Brown the brisket well on all sides, about 5 minutes per side. As the Worcestershire sauce cooks into the brisket, pour in more, about 1/2 cup at a time, until 1 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce has been added.
- Place a rack into a heavy Dutch oven; place the brisket onto the rack. Pour in the Worcestershire sauce pan drippings, red wine, water, garlic, and beef broth. Top the brisket with the mushroom mixture. Drizzle 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce over the mushrooms and top with 2 tablespoons sliced unsalted margarine.
- Cover the Dutch oven and bake brisket in the preheated oven for 3 hours. Reduce heat to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) and bake 1 more hour. Reduce oven temperature to 225 degrees F (105 degrees C) and bake 1 additional hour. Baste with pan drippings every hour.
- Let the brisket rest for about 20 minutes before slicing thinly across the grain. Serve with pan gravy.
- Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Per Serving: 624 calories; 46.1 g fat; 16.5 g carbohydrates; 26.8 g protein; 93 mg cholesterol; 1837 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 34
Too salty, and too much cayenne for my family. It was SUPER tender and moist though. I might try it again, but will definitely need to tweak the recipe.
The mushrooms are to die for! My guests raved about this one. I would suggest cooking on low longer for more tender meat. Don't skip on the wine and butter!
Excellent! Skipped the mushrooms and shallots because my husband doesn't like them. Worchestershire sauce stunk up the house horribly and I was afraid the brisket was going to be disgusting. But...
Wow! I followed the recipe exactly except I cooked it in a crock pot for 24 hours on low instead of a dutch oven and it was AMAZING! The taste was sensational! The meat just melted in your mo...
OMG this was AMAZING! I was being a cost-effective shopper and bought a 12.18 pound Brisket - mistake! Had to brown it in the Dutch oven which was close to impossible b/c it was so big. But w...
I used this recipe with a slow cooker instead of a dutch oven. It turned out great. Instead of a 5lb beef brisket, I bought one that was around 2.5 lb and halved all the ingredients. I set t...
Absolutely wonderful! I was looking for a good brisket recipe, and so far, this one definitely takes the cake! The kick from the cayenne made the meat just a hint spicy, which I prefer, and th...