Sweet and Sour Brisket
Ingredients2 h 35 m servings 580 cals
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy roasting pan over medium-high heat; pat brisket dry with paper towels. Rub meat with garlic and cracked black pepper and place into the hot oil. Brown brisket on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove brisket and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook and stir onions until very browned, about 10 minutes; stir beef broth and red wine into the Dutch oven. Scrape up any brown bits and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Stir chili sauce, brown sugar, cider vinegar, and bay leaf into the red wine mixture; place brisket in the sauce. Spoon sauce over the meat and cover the Dutch oven.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the brisket is tender, 2 to 3 hours. Let brisket cool in pan. Remove brisket, slice the meat, and return the slices to the pan.
- Return to oven and bake until the sauce is bubbling, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- For even better results, this dish gets even tastier if you prepare it the day before and refrigerate overnight. Reheat at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Per Serving: 580 calories; 35.7 g fat; 35.4 g carbohydrates; 25.1 g protein; 92 mg cholesterol; 743 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
This was a great meal. Easy and for a brisket, failry quick. I held the garlic back only putting it in to the onions about a minute or two before adding the rest of the ingredients. That way th...
I altered the recipe by adding chunks of bell pepper prior to going in the oven, but otherwise followed the recipe to the letter. It tastes amazing and it got rave reviews from my guests, but I...
Really good recipe. Didn't have chilli sauce, but had enough paprika sauce in the fridge, and added a tsp. of Hungarian chilli pepper paste. It did make a lot of sauce, which was delicious. M...