Traditional Muhammara (Syrian Hot Pepper Dip)
Ingredients40 m servings 236 cals
- Set oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place the bell peppers with cut sides down onto the prepared baking sheet; roast under the preheated broiler until the skin of the peppers has blackened and blistered, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Toast the bread slices in a toaster and let cool; place into a resealable plastic bag, squeeze out air, seal bag, and crush with a rolling pin to make crumbs.
- Transfer peppers to a bowl and tightly seal with plastic wrap. Set aside until the skins of the peppers are loose, about 15 minutes; remove and discard skins. Mash the peeled peppers with a fork.
- Combine mashed peppers, bread crumbs, walnuts, lemon juice, Aleppo pepper, pomegranate molasses, garlic, cumin, and salt in a food processor; pulse the mixture a few times to blend before running at lowest setting. Slowly stream olive oil into the pepper mixture as it blends until integrated completely; transfer mixture to a serving dish. Sprinkle sumac over the mixture to serve.
Per Serving: 236 calories; 21.6 g fat; 9.3 g carbohydrates; 3.7 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 53 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
Yum! I hate to be one of those substituters but out of necessity I had to be one. I was trying to use up some ingredients and some I didn't have on hand. I frozen mixed bell peppers and saute...