Chocolate Passover Sponge Cake
1 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 45 m servings 215
Original recipe yields 12 servings (1 10-inch tube cake)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Spray a 10-inch tube pan with cooking spray.
- Sift matzo cake meal with potato starch into a bowl; set aside.
- Place egg yolks into a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until light, about 3 minutes.
- Slowly beat 1 cup sugar into the egg yolks; continue beating until mixture is thick and pale, about 5 more minutes. Beat cocoa powder into the egg yolk mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer fitted with clean beaters in a separate bowl until foamy. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar and continue to beat until egg whites hold stiff peaks.
- Lightly stir matzo cake meal mixture and coffee into egg yolk-cocoa mixture.
- Gently fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter, retaining as much volume as possible. Fold in remaining egg whites, mixing just until no white streaks remain. Gently mix in chopped walnuts.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared tube pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until top of cake shows small cracks and springs back when lightly pressed, about 45 minutes.
- Run a knife around the sides of cake to loosen from the pan. Invert cake onto a wire rack to cool.
You might also like
Per Serving: 215 calories; 6.3 36.1 6.6 155 60 Full nutrition