Ingredients1 h 25 m servings 276 cals
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease and flour an 9x9-inch cake pan.
- Whisk together cake flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients
- Whisk water, vegetable oil, vinegar, and vanilla extract in a separate bowl until thoroughly combined; pour the wet ingredients into the well in flour mixture.
- Stir until batter is smooth. Pour into prepared cake pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until cake springs back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes before removing cake to finish cooling on rack.
- Cook's Notes:
- Vanilla cake: make recipe but don't add the cocoa powder, and add an extra 2 tablespoons of white sugar; increase vanilla extract to 1 tablespoon.
- For a 2-flavor bunny cake, make bunny body out of vanilla cake; make ears from chocolate cake. Use flaked coconut for fur.
Per Serving: 276 calories; 9 g fat; 47.2 g carbohydrates; 2.6 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 311 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 7
This cake was so easy and really moist! Loved it!
I tried both vanilla and chocolate , they didnt came out, they were gummie. No like it :0(
I made this once for a friend who can't have dairy, now it is my go-to chocolate cake recipe. I use regular flour in place of cake flour and I have never had it come out "gummy". It is VERY mo...
It works great. I took out the cocoa powder and it turned out awesome as my Nephew's first birthday cake.
The reviewer who said 'gummy' was right; too bad she expected something else. When we cook other people's recipes, we should be more open to what comes out. Pretty sure the cake was supposed t...
Followed recipe and tasted great, but texture wasn't good. very tough.