Ingredients25 m servings 145 cals
- Heat 1-inch vegetable oil in a deep-sided skillet over medium heat.
- Whisk buttermilk, paprika, black pepper, and lemon zest together in a wide bowl.
- Pour flour into a separate wide bowl.
- Place a paper towel-lined plate near the stove top.
- Dip 1/3 of asparagus in buttermilk mixture.
- Transfer asparagus to flour and coat thoroughly.
- Repeat with a second layer of buttermilk mixture and flour.
- Fry coated asparagus in the hot oil until golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to the paper towel-lined plate.
- Repeat the battering and frying process until all the sticks are cooked. Serve immediately.
- Cook's note:
- Add a 1-inch cube of bread to the hot oil to check if it is ready. If it turns deep golden brown in color after a count of 40, the oil is ready. If the bread cube browns too quickly, turn down the heat and wait a few minutes for it to cool.
- Editor's note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 145 calories; 5.6 g fat; 18.6 g carbohydrates; 6.7 g protein; 4 mg cholesterol; 105 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
I love your idea of using lemon zest and double coating the asparagus! Might I suggest placing the seasonings in the flour instead of the buttermilk because most of the seasoning will simply dri...
I accidentally left the lemon zest out of the first batch, but it was still great. I advise putting the seasonings in the buttermilk because I had to change out the flour about three times. It g...
This recipe is awesome! I followed the instructions to the letter and it came out amazing! Whole family gobbled them up! Definitely planning on doing this again.