Fabulous Colcannon (Mashed Potatoes and Cabbage)
Ingredients1 h 5 m servings 343 cals
- Place potatoes into a large pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil, set heat to medium-low, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain potatoes and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Stir milk, mayonnaise, and butter into potatoes. Mash with a potato masher until smooth.
- Cook and stir bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until fat is rendered, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir onion, garlic, and cayenne pepper into bacon and drippings and cook, stirring often, until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir cabbage and water into onion mixture until cabbage is wilted, about 5 more minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Fold cabbage mixture into mashed potatoes.
- Cook and stir ham pieces in the same skillet used for cabbage mixture until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir cooked ham into mashed potato and cabbage mixture until combined.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 343 calories; 17 g fat; 36 g carbohydrates; 12.8 g protein; 41 mg cholesterol; 585 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 20
Yum! Not only is this cheap to make, it's equally easy to throw together and surprisingly filling too. Although fine as is, I do have one suggestion for improvement. Instead of slicing your cabb...
I have made this tonight for dinner for family and friends. I cooked the spuds on the cook top as the 1st part of this recipe. All the other cooking I did in the microwave. Faster, easier and le...
I just made this for dinner tonight and was very happy with it. I probably didn't follow the recipe directions to a T (I read it then just go by memory) and I left out the cayenne pepper because...
Made this using leftover corned beef, fried cabbage and mashed potatoes. Added a pinch of red pepper and topped with shredded sharp cheddar. We enjoyed the original recipe as well as the improvi...
We think this is the bomb! A great mix of flavors and a meal in one dish - no need for anything else. Did not vary anything except for the use Greek Yogurt in place of mayo and a little more t...
This a family favorite. I do shred some cheddar to sprinkle on top, per another review's suggestion. Love this with our home grown caraflex cabbage, but with plain old grocery store stuff it is...
I thought this was very tasty. I didn't have ham, so just used bacon, but it was very good without it. The cayenne pepper is a plus!