Fabulous Colcannon (Mashed Potatoes and Cabbage)
Ingredients1 h 5 m servings 343
- Place potatoes into a large pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil, set heat to medium-low, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain potatoes and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Stir milk, mayonnaise, and butter into potatoes. Mash with a potato masher until smooth.
- Cook and stir bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until fat is rendered, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir onion, garlic, and cayenne pepper into bacon and drippings and cook, stirring often, until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir cabbage and water into onion mixture until cabbage is wilted, about 5 more minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Fold cabbage mixture into mashed potatoes.
- Cook and stir ham pieces in the same skillet used for cabbage mixture until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir cooked ham into mashed potato and cabbage mixture until combined.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 343 calories; 17 36 12.8 41 585 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 20
Yum! Not only is this cheap to make, it's equally easy to throw together and surprisingly filling too. Although fine as is, I do have one suggestion for improvement. Instead of slicing your cabb...
I have made this tonight for dinner for family and friends. I cooked the spuds on the cook top as the 1st part of this recipe. All the other cooking I did in the microwave. Faster, easier and le...
I just made this for dinner tonight and was very happy with it. I probably didn't follow the recipe directions to a T (I read it then just go by memory) and I left out the cayenne pepper because...
Made this using leftover corned beef, fried cabbage and mashed potatoes. Added a pinch of red pepper and topped with shredded sharp cheddar. We enjoyed the original recipe as well as the improvi...
We think this is the bomb! A great mix of flavors and a meal in one dish - no need for anything else. Did not vary anything except for the use Greek Yogurt in place of mayo and a little more t...
This a family favorite. I do shred some cheddar to sprinkle on top, per another review's suggestion. Love this with our home grown caraflex cabbage, but with plain old grocery store stuff it is...
I thought this was very tasty. I didn't have ham, so just used bacon, but it was very good without it. The cayenne pepper is a plus!