Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 415
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir Italian sausage until browned and crumbly, about 10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer sausage to prepared casserole dish. Drain drippings and reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in the skillet.
- Melt 2 tablespoons margarine in a separate skillet over medium heat; cook and stir apple and onion slices until tender, about 8 minutes. Place apple and onion in casserole dish with sausage.
- Lightly stir sausage, apple, and onion together; season with salt, black pepper, and oregano.
- Brown flour in reserved drippings in skillet over medium heat. Whisk water into flour until thick gravy forms, about 3 minutes.
- Pour gravy over sausage mixture in the casserole dish; spread mashed potatoes over the top with a spoon, creating peaks. Lightly brush mashed potatoes with 1 tablespoon melted margarine.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the potatoes are lightly browned and the sausage mixture is bubbling, about 30 minutes.
- Partner Tip
- Reynolds® Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Per Serving: 415 calories; 27.2 30.5 12.6 36 1019 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 10
I really enjoyed this for dinner and am so glad I gave it a try! Sicne it was not specified, I chose to use braeburn apples which I love for cooking. I did make a few minor changes. I had some c...
This was really tasty! I used chicken broth instead of water in the gravy, since we didn't have beef broth. Otherwise, I followed the recipe as written. Next time, I think I'll go up to 1 1/2...
My guys really loved this one! I didn't use the apple because I didn't have any on hand, but will add it next time. I did saute some diced red pepper with the onions, and made the gravy with chi...
Made this using venison mild sausage. I HATE venison, but trying to oblige the men in the house. Followed the recipe as written except made my mashed potatoes to my liking. Excellent recipe! T...
This is tasty :). I did make a few tweaks....added peas and carrots, cooked just about equal parts ground beef and sausage (beef being a little more) and for the gravy mix...used 1 cup Guinne...
Followed exactly with the exception of topping. I used sweet potato mash dusted with nutmeg. Also beef stock in the gravy. Subbed basil for oregano….not exactly "exactly" huh? Love this dish...
I really liked this recipe! I make beef shepherds pie often, so it was a really nice change of pace with the sausage and apples. It was very moist and had a wonderful flavor. I will be making th...