Spotted Dog Irish Bread
Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 196
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Grease a 12-inch cast iron skillet.
- Sift flour, sugar, and baking powder together in a large bowl.
- Beat eggs with milk in a separate bowl.
- Stir egg mixture into flour mixture until moistened; batter will be very thick.
- Fold in raisins until thoroughly combined.
- Spread batter into prepared cast iron skillet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bread has risen and is golden brown on top, about 1 hour.
- Cook's Note:
- For two smaller loaves, divide batter into two greased 8-inch round cake pans and bake for 45 minutes.
- Partner Tip
- Reynolds® Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Per Serving: 196 calories; 1.1 43.3 4.3 17 179 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 9
I tried this recipe after being disappointed with most Irish Soda Bread Recipes and was pleasantly surprised! The recipe was extremely easy! The bread is slightly dense but has an amazing flavor...
This was good! I made it to compare it to my M-I-L's recipe she calls Scon (rhymes with Ron, she's from County Caven). I have yet to find any similar recipe to hers or anything called Scon. T...
Turned out awesome! I actually made a few changes that turn out pretty well. I added about a quarter cup of brown sugar and a teaspoon of cinnamon, and it really adds to the flavour. I also bake...
Delicious and very easy to make. I used half the amount of sugar called for in the recipe and it still has a nice sweetness and very good texture. It browned quickly so I tented it with foil abo...
Very good. Sweeter than I expected. Will try it again with less sugar. I did use 2 cups of whole wheat flour to add some grains and it turned out really well.
The recipe is very well written and has good flavor, I haven't ever had this type of bread to have anything to compare it to. It was very easy to make. I think mine came out over baked as the ed...
This is an amazing recipe! It most definitely is not "soda bread," as it's made with baking powder (not soda), and it is sweeter than I expected. That notwithstanding, it is delicious. The only ...
My husband LOVED this bread--so did I. I can't make it very often we are Keto and diabetics--but when I do--we pull out a whole stick of real butter to let it reach room temp AND It's posted on...