Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 397
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels and crumble when cool.
- Cover potatoes with water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat until tender but not mushy, about 15 minutes; drain.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat and stir in flour; mix until smooth. Reduce heat to medium-low and slowly whisk in half-and-half until smooth. Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly, and cook until slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in processed cheese cubes until melted and smooth.
- Season with white pepper, garlic powder, and hot pepper sauce.
- Mix in cooked potatoes, cover, and simmer until potatoes are very tender and soup is thickened, about 30 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top each bowl with equal amounts shredded Cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon, chives, and parsley.
- Cook's Note:
- I have made this using processed cheese loaf and using the processed cheese in the jar. I like the jar better. I have used all shredded cheese. This takes 1 cup plus the extra for topping. I like using real cheese versus the box or jar, but it does not taste the same.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 397 calories; 28.2 23 14.2 87 589 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
I went with this recipe hoping to make the potato part in my crockpot.......but my crockpot died. I transferred everything to a large soup pot and went on with the recipe. I actually made a doub...
Made exactly didn't have any flavor. Sorry but it was a huge waste of time
I did not use the Velveeta, but used aged sharp cheddar cheese instead, and we loved this soup, served it with crusty french bread rolls!