McNamara's Irish Soda Bread
Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 200 cals
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease an 8 1/2x4 1/2-inch loaf pan.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, 9 tablespoons sugar, and salt in the mixing bowl of a large stand mixer on low speed until combined.
- Mix in butter until thoroughly combined.
- Beat in milk, then eggs, then raisins, incorporating each ingredient well before adding the next.
- Transfer dough to the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bread has risen and the top is golden brown, about 45 minutes. A toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Cool for about 10 minutes before slicing. Best served warm.
- Cook's Note:
- I like to use my standing mixer to mix the ingredients. When the milk and eggs get added in, the mixture becomes heavy to stir by hand. The more you mix together the ingredients the better it is.
Per Serving: 200 calories; 4.7 g fat; 35.7 g carbohydrates; 4.3 g protein; 41 mg cholesterol; 263 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
This Soda Bread rose well, had a very nice crunchy top & browned nicely. The batter is a bit difficult to handle, for it's stiff & sticky, so it was very hard to transfer from the bowl to the ba...