Tonya's Rich and Creamy Beef Stroganoff
Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 386
- Melt butter in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat; cook and stir onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and continue to cook and stir until mushrooms are soft and liquid has evaporated, about 5 more minutes. Transfer onion and mushrooms to a bowl.
- Cook and stir beef sirloin cubes in the same skillet over medium heat until the cubes are browned on all sides and liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- Pour 2/3 of the beef consomme into the skillet; scrape up and dissolve any brown bits from the bottom of the skillet. Bring mixture to a boil; set remaining consomme aside.
- Mix in garlic, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper, and hot sauce. Reduce heat to low and simmer beef mixture until tender, at least 30 minutes. Simmer longer for more tender beef.
- Whisk remaining 1/3 can beef consomme with flour in a small bowl until smooth; stir into the beef mixture, return to a boil, and simmer the meat and sauce until thickened, 2 to 3 more minutes. Stir in cooked onion and mushrooms and cook until heated through.
- Remove from heat, stir in sour cream, and serve.
- Cook's Notes:
- Cheaper cuts of meat also work well as long as they are allowed to simmer for several hours. The simmering can be done in a slow cooker, but you must cook the onions and mushrooms and brown the meat until juices are gone first, then transfer to the cooker.
- For those who aren't huge onion fans, dice the onions into very small pieces. They will almost completely disappear in the sauce once completed. For a tangier sauce, add extra Worcestershire.
- To make ahead and freeze, stop preparation before adding the sour cream. Once thawed, heat until almost boiling, then remove from heat and add sour cream just before serving. Leftovers are even better than the first round. Mix the noodles with the sauce and refrigerate. Make sure you have enough sauce as the noodles will absorb more in the fridge. When reheating, you can add a little milk to keep it moist.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 386 calories; 29.9 12.1 18.7 98 960 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 22
This is a an easy recipe to prepare. It was good.
What do you do when you over cook the Christmas roast bea.ccs t? Make this the next day!! Perfect, add some beautifully vibrant roasted vegetables and dinner is Ready! Thank YOU very much Tonya!
This is the closest recipe I could find to the one I lost but had made for years. The only difference I can remember is that I never added hot sauce, used canned mushrooms instead of fresh, beef...
Sooooo good! I had to improvise with beef stock instead of Consommé and a squirt of Dijon mustard instead of worshestershire. It came out perfectly, served it over egg noodles and I will defin...
Excellent recipe I've made this twice once with beef sirloin and the next with hamburger both are wonderful.