Ingredients1 h 35 m servings 163 cals
- Combine pearl barley and boiling water in a bowl; set aside to soak for 10 minutes.
- Heat canola oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir onion, celery, and carrot in hot oil until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir mushrooms into the onion mixture; cook and stir until softened and brown, about 5 minutes.
- Drain the barley, discarding any remaining water from soaking. Stir the barley into the mushroom mixture.
- Stir the garlic and tomato paste into the mixture, stir until combined, then pour the beef stock into the sauce pan. Season with the oregano, salt, black pepper, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cook at a simmer for 1 hour.
Per Serving: 163 calories; 6.2 g fat; 19.8 g carbohydrates; 8.7 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 353 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 14
Very good! Multiple flavors that make it very interesting. I had portabello mushrooms so I cut them up and used them instead, very "meaty" tasting without the meat!
Awesome soup. Very flavorful and nutritious. I added a couple of bay leaves for the 1 hour simmer. Next time I make this I will add a tablespoon or two of flour before I add the broth just to...
Saw this featured on the allrecipes homepage and made it... it was a tasty basic winter soup. I used white mushrooms and portobellos.
We loved this. I had to add chicken because my family doesn't think it's a meal w/o meat & I happened to have some cooked chicken. I also couldn't find my barley so I made some Japanese Black Ri...
Very good. I used a small can of diced tomatoes and 1 quart of beef broth for the liquid. Doubled the amount of garlic and added hot pepper flakes. I will make this again and again.
I added a 1/4 cup more barley and added sauteed pork cubes. My husband loved it!
Excellent recipe! Added more barley and some stew meat ~ my boys like meat! Delicious!
This was really good! Next time I'll add more barley because we thought it could use more. Besides adding more barley, I wouldn't change anything else!