Slow Cooker 5-Mushroom Barley Soup
Ingredients8 h 20 m servings 271 cals
- Heat water in a slow cooker set to High until hot; add barley, beef broth, milk, olive oil, onion, celery, carrot, garlic, white mushrooms, brown beech mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, black mushrooms, cream of mushroom soup, salt, and ground mixed peppercorns to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on High for 1 hour.
- Remove shiitake mushrooms with a slotted spoon and chop into 1/2-inch pieces. Reduce heat setting to Low and continue cooking 7 hours more.
- Cook's Notes:
- If planning for a dinner meal, depending on time of day, stop cooking until three hours before serving time. Re-heat on HIGH for first hour, reduce to LOW for remaining 2 hours.
- If preparing before going to work, place on LOW setting before leaving. Cooking may extend beyond 8 hours but will only deepen the flavor. Insure cover is in place tightly, to avoid evaporation of liquid. If needed, add additional water or milk to thin to desired consistency.
- Brown Beech mushrooms usually come attached to rhizome root ball. Cut from mushrooms and chop finely for earthy flavoring.
- Easy Cleanup
- Try using a liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup.
Per Serving: 271 calories; 9.6 g fat; 38.5 g carbohydrates; 10.3 g protein; 3 mg cholesterol; 1092 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
The soup's consistency is great, nice and hearty although the flavor is very mild. Unfortunately my family learned we don't like all the different mushrooms so I might be leaving out some of the...
Never again! I should have realized that four stars with only two reviews told a tale! Our family loves mushrooms and barley so I made a double batch to share with my sister and brother and thei...