Special Green Bean Bake
"This is one my favorite green bean side dishes. It has been in my family for a very long time. It goes great with pot roast and potatoes. It's almost like a green bean relish. Not your ordinary green bean dish! Even better left over. I've also added rinsed and drained water chestnuts for some crunch."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 15 m servings 175
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate, reserving about 1 tablespoon bacon drippings in the skillet. Crumble bacon.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
- Cook and stir the onion in the reserved bacon drippings over medium-high heat until onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Combine cooked onion, sugar, cider vinegar, relish, pimento peppers, and green beans in a large bowl.
- Transfer mixture to a baking dish and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until browned, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove foil and stir lightly.
- Allow green beans to rest for 15 minutes before topping with crumbled bacon and serving.
You might also like
- Partner tip: Reynolds® Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Per Serving: 175 calories; 6.3 24.8 4.7 12 508 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
It was way too vinegary and way too sweet almost losing any flavor the bacon may give this. I would not make it again.