My Asparagus Casserole
Ingredients55 m servings 556 cals
- Place asparagus spears into a large skillet and pour in about 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil, cover skillet, and steam until the asparagus is very tender, about 20 minutes, adding more water if needed. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Lay the asparagus into the bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- Whisk together cream of mushroom soup and chicken broth in a bowl; pour half the soup mixture over the asparagus.
- Sprinkle in half the diced ham.
- Spread cracker crumbs evenly over the ham.
- Spread green beans over the cracker crumbs.
- Pour remaining soup mixture over the casserole and sprinkle on the remaining ham.
- Arrange French-fried onions over the top of the casserole, and cover the casserole with a lid.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the casserole is bubbling, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and sprinkle Cheddar cheese over the casserole in an even layer.
- Return to oven without covering casserole; bake until the cheese is melted, another 5 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- If you do the prep while the asparagus is steaming, it doesn't take long to prepare at all.
Per Serving: 556 calories; 37 g fat; 37.3 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 43 mg cholesterol; 1643 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
I moderated the proportions of ingredients somewhat but the combination of flavors is 5 star tasty! First of all there seemed to be too much liquid in the recipe for a 2 quart casserole, and I ...
This was really good! A better version of green bean casserole. Next time I think I'm going to cut the asparagus spears to the same length of the green beans.
My husband and I liked it, the kids were uncertain, but ate it anyway. I think that the crackers are not necessary really and I would chop the asparagus up a bit before steaming them, so the ca...
I omitted the ham because I was using this as a side dish, & halved the soup & cheese, plus I mixed everything together, rather than layering(topped w/the fried onions). It was VERY good! It doe...
This was easy and delicious. I would also recommend cutting up the asparagus before putting in bottom of dish.
I'm trying to cut some fat/calories from my diet, so I cut the soup/broth mixture by half and didn't add cheese. I also used crushed potato chips in place of the onions. It was really good!
Too soupy for my taste, but the flavors were great. Made as recipe states, so I would probably cut the chicken broth in half or reduce the soup.