Andouille Sausage and Corn Chowder
Ingredients1 h 20 m servings 439 cals
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook and stir onion, celery, green bell pepper, and red bell pepper in the hot oil until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir garlic, cayenne pepper, and diced andouille sausage into the onion mixture; continue to cook and stir until the sausage is hot, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Fold corn kernels and bay leaves into the sausage mixture; season with thyme. Allow the mixture to simmer until the corn is warmed, about 1 minute.
- Pour chicken broth into the pot; bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook at a simmer, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Stir potatoes and heavy cream to the pot, place a cover on the pot, and continue cooking at a simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Season the chowder with salt and black pepper.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- Garnish with cilantro to serve.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 439 calories; 31.7 g fat; 28.2 g carbohydrates; 13.3 g protein; 77 mg cholesterol; 627 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 25
We LOVED your chowder, Wyattdogster! Thank you! I made two small changes for convenience purposes only. I had Cajun-style sausage in the freezer to use. I simply fried it with the vegetables, ad...
Enjoyed this a alot although 2t dried thyme is WAY too much imo. I used just under 1t and it was still a bit too much. Followed the submitter's suggestion of adding a can of creamed corn - liked...
This was fantastic. I followed recipe almost exactly except used red potatoes and about half the thyme. I also threw in a few slices of turkey bacon and used chicken andouille sausage as a light...
Really too much thyme, for our taste. Next time, will only use 1/4 tsp. But I WILL make it again! Very spicy-good. Dropped corn muffin in just before serving.
this was so good my family loved it I did use canned corn instead of frozen half regular and half creamed and I didn't have any bell pepper so I used carrots instead. very easy and very good!
Great flavor. I do wish that the broth was a little thicker. I think it would be improved with some cans of cream corn instead of the heavy cream.
This was really very good. I added 2 minced jalapenos for some xtra peppery goodness. Try sprinkling smoked paprika on top--delish!
EXCELLENT! I used a whole red and green pepper, just to use them up, and I omitted the thyme b/c I had none on hand and we are not fans of it anyways. Also, I reduced the cayenne by half, b/c I ...