Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients6 h 35 m servings 651
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Combine white and brown sugar and water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally to dissolve the sugar completely, but stop stirring once the mixture comes to a boil to prevent the sugar from crystallizing.
- Swirl the pan gently to redistribute the caramel as the sugar begins to darken. Cook to about 310 degrees F (160 degrees C), or until the sugar turns light golden brown. Remove from heat immediately, as sugar will continue to darken.
- Pour the caramel in an 8-inch baking dish, coating the bottom and sides of the dish. Let caramel harden, about 5 minutes.
- Preheat an oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Melt the white chocolate in a microwave-safe glass or ceramic bowl in 30-second intervals, stirring after each melting, for 1 to 3 minutes (depending on your microwave). Do not overheat or chocolate will scorch.
- Cream together the cream cheese, mascarpone cheese, evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, and melted white chocolate in a bowl until smooth.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture over the hardened caramel.
- Place baking dish in a large roasting pan. Fill the roasting pan with about 1-inch water.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Refrigerate until completely chilled, 5 to 6 hours. To serve, run a paring knife along the edges of the baking dish to loosen the flan. Cover the baking dish with a plate, and invert it to tip the flan out of the pan and onto the plate.
- Cook's Note:
- If the caramel gets hard inside of the the saucepan, turn the flame back on and stir. It will soften again. (It worked for me.)
Per Serving: 651 calories; 37.9 67.7 13.3 140 226 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
Loved it. Definitely a hit and will make it again. Flan was creamy and white chocolate wasn't overbearing. Thumbs up!