Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients4 h servings 477
Original recipe yields 8 servings (1 9-inch pie)
- Mash 3 cups sliced strawberries with 1 cup sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring strawberry mixture to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Mix cornstarch with water in a small bowl and pour into mashed strawberries; reduce heat to medium-low.
- Let strawberry mixture simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Bring half-and-half to a boil in a saucepan; remove from heat.
- Beat egg and egg yolk with an electric mixer in a bowl until frothy; gradually mix in 3/4 cup of sugar, then beat until the egg mixture is thick, pale yellow, and forms a ribbon when beater is lifted out of the bowl, about 3 minutes.
- Mix in flour until smooth.
- Gradually pour hot half-and-half into the egg mixture in a steady stream, beating constantly.
- Return mixture to the saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the custard thickens and starts to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; continue cooking, stirring constantly until flour is cooked, 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Remove custard from heat, and stir in butter and vanilla extract.
- Spread custard in an even layer over the bottom of graham cracker crust. Top the custard with the cooked strawberry mixture. Arrange fresh strawberries over the top.
- Chill at least 3 hours before serving.
Per Serving: 477 calories; 16.8 79.5 4.6 71 226 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
I made this as written, and it came out just ok. The custard filling seemed extremely thick - it started thickening up immediately when I started cooking it, and had big globs in it that I had ...