Melody's Corn Maque Choux
Ingredients1 h servings 197 cals
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium, turning occasionally, until evenly browned and crisp, about 10 minutes; drain on paper towels. Reserve 1 tablespoon bacon drippings.
- Allow bacon to cool; crumble and set aside.
- Melt butter with the bacon drippings in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir onion, celery, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, thyme, salt, black pepper, parsley, and Creole seasoning in the butter mixture until onion is translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 more minutes.
- Mix in beef broth and corn; bring to a boil.
- Cover the saucepan and reduce heat to low; simmer until broth is nearly evaporated and vegetables are tender, about 20 more minutes. Stir in crumbled bacon. Dish can be simmered longer or held over low heat if desired.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 197 calories; 10.3 g fat; 25.1 g carbohydrates; 5.1 g protein; 21 mg cholesterol; 608 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 24
Thanks for trying my recipe and I'm glad you all liked it so much! The only difference between this and Succotash is the addition of green lima beans. Also, I noticed that some of the changes ...
Hubs is in LA and I’m home by my lonesome. As the saying goes, “When the cat’s away, the mice (make that mouse) will play.” Dinner for me tonight was something I could never make if Hubs was ...
This is one delicious side dish. I used yellow and white corn, more creole seasoning, spicy salt in place of the salt and cayene. Oh, and about four rashers of thick cut pepper bacon (more YUM!...
Made this for Recipe Group...We really liked this a lot! I omitted the thyme, b/c I didn't have any and we are not big fans of it, but followed it otherwise. This was a nice change and will be a...
Great recipe, and easy to make. Mostly I stuck to the recipe, but as suggested in the Allrecipes magazine, I used 6 slices of bacon. I also used about 24 ounces of corn, instead of 20. I will...
I really liked this! I used a yellow pepper vs. celery because I thought it would blend in with my Mardi Gras theme better!! I didn't use the bacon only because I have vegetarian friends. I k...
Recipe Group Selection: 02, February 2013 ~ We enjoyed this side dish very much. I didn’t have Creole seasoning, so I made up “Creole Seasoning Blend” from AR to use in this dish. I had fresh...
I made this recipe for the weekly recipe group selection. I've never had this dish before so can't really compare it to others. We enjoyed it, my son really loved it. I didn't simmer the veggies...