Ingredients50 m servings 839
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a saucepan over high heat.
- Slowly pour the grits into the stock while stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer until the grits are tender and thick, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in 1/4 cup heavy cream to thin the grits.
- Stir in the Gouda cheese and 1/4 cup butter until melted and smooth.
- While the grits are cooking, place the bacon in a large, deep skillet over medium heat; cook until the bacon fat is rendered, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the shallot and garlic; cooking and stirring until the shallots are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the white wine and stir in 3 tablespoons butter, cooking and stirring until the butter has melted.
- Drop the shrimp in the skillet; cook and stir until they are bright pink on the outside and the meat is no longer transparent in the center, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach, mushrooms, and green onions; cook and stir until the spinach wilts, about 2 minutes more.
- Remove the shrimp with a slotted spoon.
- Stir in 2 cups heavy cream. Simmer until the cream is reduced by about a third, about 10 minutes.
- Season with hot sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Return the shrimp to the skillet to heat through.
- Serve shrimp and sauce over the prepared grits.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 839 calories; 70.5 21.8 29.6 322 1083 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 32
Yeah! I finally found a recipe that my entire family raved about. I made this as written for the most part, but used Velveeta shredded cheese in the grits. I thought this made the recipe even...
This is amazing! absolutely delicious!- my husband went back for thirds. I will definitley make this again
I'm from Pensacola, FL and Chef Jim Shirley did, indeed, come up with this recipe at The Fish House. It's a favorite on their menu and a favorite on our table. If you want the grits a little t...
WONDERFUL! I made this over the weekend and it was devine. Next time I will make a few changes. I will cook the grits in water instead of the chic stock. Also at the end I will add only 1 cu...
I have never made or eaten grits before. I wasn't even sure what grits were or what they were made out of until I googled them. I used a yellow cornmeal to make them. I also didn't have cream...
Awesome! Will make over and over minus one cup of cream. Family went back for thirds but, many noted you couldn't really find the grits, so to speak, because it was so soupy with cream. I reco...
This was yummy! Fairly easy... I didn't have the shallot or the spinach. I also got mixed up halfway thru cooking and I accidently got 5 min grits.. So I put my cheese and 1/4 c cream in the g...
I would not change a thing on this recipe. It was the best ever. Thank-you.