Ingredients3 h servings
- Place raw chicken in a large stockpot.
- Add parsnips, carrots, celery, onion, dill, and parsley to the stockpot; cover with water, and boil until the chicken is 200 degrees F (95 degrees C) or begins to fall apart, about 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from the stock and set aside for another use.
- Whisk together eggs and oil in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add matzo meal to the bowl with eggs and oil, stirring until well combined. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Remove matzo mixture from the refrigerator and gently hand-roll into 1 inch balls. Be careful not to over-roll as this can make the matzo balls tough.
- In a separate pot, heat chicken stock. Place matzo balls into the stock and simmer until they are soft, at least 1 hour.
- Transfer the matzo balls into the soup pot with the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, place pieces of the roasted chicken into soup bowls and ladle the chicken soup with matzo balls over it. Enjoy!
- Cook's Note:
- Use the extra chicken for chicken salad the next day. Do not use the meat from this chicken for the soup, as it is tougher and less flavorful than the roasted chicken meat.
ReviewsRead all reviews 7
Wow! This is an awesome soup. This little protestant impressed her jewish neighbors with this wonderful soup :) I have to admit to being a bit too frugal to use two whole chickens, so I removed ...
This soup was very delicious! I followed the recipe exactly but I didn't cook the chicken in the water with the veggies. Even though I didn't do this, it still came out fantastic! However, someo...
I made this on a chilly, rainy day. I followed the recipe exactly except I left out the rotisserie chicken. What a perfect comfort food. I have also made this and strained everything out at t...
I think I didn't add enough water...it ended up being not so much of a soup...
A nice blend of comforting food! Made with 2 sweet potatoes as recommended by someone else.
Marvelous Chicken and Matzo Ball Soup! It's my "go to" when I start feeling like I'm coming down with a cold. I start feeling better every time! Thank you for sharing this wonderful family tradi...