Hawaiian Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Ingredients2 h 5 m servings 506
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Pour the melted butter into a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the butter.
- Arrange 8 pineapple rings in two rows in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the macadamia nuts, half of the flaked coconut, and 2 chopped pineapple slices between the rows of pineapple rings.
- Place a maraschino cherry in each pineapple ring, then scatter the remaining cherries over the coconut mixture. Set baking dish aside.
- Whisk together the pineapple juice, coconut water, vegetable oil, and eggs in a large bowl. Stir in the mashed banana, yellow cake mix, and remaining flaked coconut until well blended.
- Slowly pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then run a paring knife between the cake and the edge of the pan.
- Cover the cake pan with a large serving plate, and invert it to tip the cake out of the pan and onto the plate with the pineapple slices showing.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 506 calories; 24.8 69 4.4 67 384 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 21
i put the nuts, bananas, the 2 extra pineapples and half the coconut inside the batter ....it came out awesome!!!!
Consider yourself warned. This cake is really rich and should be served in small amounts - with just a little bit of barely sweetened whipped cream. I did use yellow cake from scratch as I am ...
My wife just started a new job in Hawaii and it was my time to bring a treat in to work, so something Hawaiian seemed like a natural choice. I've never tried this recipe before so I didn't want ...
Made it for a party last night and it was wonderful. I used up all the pineapple rings from the can and followed the recipe on the yellow cake mix box. The recipe called for 3 eggs, 1/2 cup wat...
I made this yesterday and my family loved it. I served it semi-warm with a scoop of coconut ice-cream. They all had seconds! I only made half recipe. I used a 9 inch round cake pan and cooked fo...
i tried it out in advance of our luau to make sure we liked it and boy oh boy, everyone in the house did! So I made it for the luau and it was truly a hit! Love allrecipes!
I made this with 2 gluten free cakes and added applesauce instead of the fat and pineapple juice instead of water it is awesome.