Ingredients1 h 35 m servings 455 cals
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion slices and garlic to the pot; season with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Cook the onions in the oil mixture until caramelized, stirring every 10 minutes to keep from browning too quickly, about 1 hour.
- Stir the brown sugar and thyme into the caramelized onions; allow the sugar to melt into the onion mixture, about 2 minutes. Pour the wine over the onions and bring to a boil while scraping the browned bits of food off of the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon; continue simmering another 5 minutes. Add the beef stock; cook together another 10 minutes. Season to taste with more salt and pepper, if desired.
- Preheat the oven's broiler.
- Ladle the soup into 5 oven-safe crocks arranged onto a baking sheet. Top the soup with a slice of French bread; cover with a slice of Swiss cheese and sprinkle with some of the Parmagiano-Reggiano cheese.
- Melt the cheese under the broiler until browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
Per Serving: 455 calories; 25.6 g fat; 37 g carbohydrates; 17.4 g protein; 48 mg cholesterol; 426 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
I loved this - the onions melted in your mouth! It was a little sweet for my fiance's taste, but I think we'll just try it with a chardonnay next time to see what a difference that makes.
This soup was so good. The port wine & thyme added a delicious unique flavor. Really enjoyed it!