Ingredients5 h 10 m servings 1324 cals
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a pie pan.
- In a bowl, mix cornmeal and water and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk the whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Whisk the egg and vegetable oil into the wet cornmeal; stir the wet ingredients into the flour mixture until just combined and pour into the prepared pie pan.
- Bake the cornbread in the preheated oven until lightly browned and a knife inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Reduce oven heat to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned and crisp, about 6 minutes per side; drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Crumble the bacon when cool. Stir the onion, garlic, celery, red bell pepper, poultry seasoning, sage, and oregano into the bacon drippings left in the skillet; cook and stir until the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Remove cooled cornbread from the pie pan and cut into small cubes; place into a large bowl and mix in the rye bread cubes. Stir the bacon and cooked vegetables into the stuffing until well combined; drizzle the chicken broth into the dressing, stirring to evenly moisten the bread cubes.
- Rinse the turkey inside and out and pat dry with paper towels. Place turkey into a large roasting pan with a lid. Fill the body and neck cavities loosely with stuffing, folding the neck skin over the stuffing and securing in place with toothpicks. Place any leftover stuffing onto a large square of aluminum foil and fold and seal the edges to enclose the stuffing. Refrigerate stuffing packet until about 45 minutes before serving time.
- Place the turkey in the oven, and roast until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 180 degrees F (80 degrees C), 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Remove lid after about 2 1/2 hours to brown skin. Baste occasionally with pan drippings. About 45 minutes before serving, bake the extra stuffing if desired.
Per Serving: 1324 calories; 60.1 g fat; 27.3 g carbohydrates; 158.7 g protein; 466 mg cholesterol; 809 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
This stuffing was excellent! I always love turkey and stuffing, so I am always willing to try new recipes. I marinaded the turkey in my own little marinade, but the stuffing complemented it perf...
My rating is for the cornbread stuffing since I had a recipe that called for a boxed mix and being here in Canada we don't seem to have cornbread stuffing mixes so I had to look for a recipe. Th...