Ingredients1 h 35 m servings 525 cals
- Cover the rice with several inches of fresh water. Allow rice to stand for 30 minutes. Drain off water so that rice is covered by 1/4 inch of water.
- Place the rice in a microwave oven, cover, and cook on High until the water has mostly absorbed but the rice is still wet, about 10 minutes; stir and cook until almost dry, an additional 4 minutes.
- Mix half the coconut milk and 1 cup of sugar in a bowl, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Pour the mixture over the rice and stir to coat rice with the mixture. Cover and allow the rice to stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Pour the remaining 1/2 can of coconut milk into a saucepan and whisk in 1 tablespoon of sugar, salt, and cornstarch until smooth. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly, and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- To serve, scoop the rice into individual serving bowls and top each serving with about 2 tablespoons of the coconut sauce and several pieces of mango.
- Cook's Note:
- You can also steam the sweet rice using the traditional method. You may want to leave the salt out and taste the sauce before you add any.
Per Serving: 525 calories; 14.1 g fat; 96.4 g carbohydrates; 5.7 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 111 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 22
I've made this recipe on the stove. This is good, but I gave it a 4 star rating because the topping is a bit bland/gooey/pastey tasting. The second time I made it, I doubled the sugar in the ...
Yes, this is exactly the recipe I was looking for. The proportions are perfect (rice:sauce) and it tastes like it should. Delicious.
This is my favorite dessert in a Thai resturant. I am so happy to find this recipe!
I have made this twice. The first time I used sticky rice and cooked it on a splatter guard on top of pan of water about three inches from rice and placed a stainless steal bowl over the rice. I...
Turned out really well and was actually much simpler than I expected. I would have liked it if there was slightly more of the coconut sauce, but perhaps I over cooked it and lost some. But it wa...
So easy and so delicious!! A trick for making the sticky rice: soak your rice over night and steam the next day. I use a colander and a large pot with a lid to steam the rice and it come out pe...
Made this once already and it came out perfect. It's a simple recipe that tastes like it came from a Thai restaurant. I will be making it again tonight!
FABULOUS! Didn't change anything (except I had to add more water 3x during rice cooking phase). I've never made rice in the microwave...always in the rice cooker, so this was a fun recipe! An...