Scandinavian Sweetheart Waffles
Ingredients40 m servings 288
- Place egg yolks into a large mixing bowl with the sugar, and beat until light and frothy. Mix in the vanilla sugar and water until evenly combined, and stir in half the melted butter, half the buttermilk, half the flour. When mixture is smooth, mix in remaining butter, buttermilk, flour, cardamom, and salt, and beat again to a smooth batter.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until they form stiff peaks; gently fold the egg whites into the batter, incorporating as much volume as possible.
- Preheat a waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup of batter into the preheated waffle iron, close the lid, and cook until the waffle is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove waffle to a plate. If using a heart-shaped iron, break the waffle into individual hearts to serve. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Cook's Note:
- Almost all Scandinavian specialty shops carry both vanilla sugar and non-stick heart-shaped waffle irons. If vanilla sugar is not available, vanilla extract may be substituted.
Per Serving: 288 calories; 9.7 42 8.1 95 130 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 19
This recipe turned out delicious! I am not one for thick belgian waffles, and these thinner Scandinavian waffles are a better, healthier alternative. I did not have any vanilla sugar, so I simpl...
Worked excellent on our George Foreman grille (with waffle attachments). I used the vanilla extract as I had no vanilla sugar. Also added 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to 2% milk to make buttermil...
So glad I tried this recipe. I had a good waffle recipe and thought, "A waffle is just a waffle." Boy, was I wrong! I will forever put cardamom in my waffle batter. Thanks, ScandoGirl!
This is a great recipe. The added steps of beating the yolks and whites separately results in supremely fluffy waffles. Totally worth the effort!
I doubled the recipe in hopes of some left-overs; however, there were none! Even my health conscious husband couldn't resist coming back for seconds and commented on how 'really good' they were...
These waffles were incredible! Easily the best homemade waffles I have ever had. They're very light and fluffy and the little bit of spice makes them heavenly and unique. The only thing I change...
Slightly sweet and perfect for no syrup mornings! I left out the cardamom since I was making them for my toddler.