Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 637 cals
- Place crushed tomatoes, canola oil, oregano, basil, and sugar into a large saucepan, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook the sauce, stirring frequently, until the flavors have blended, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water, and bring to a rolling boil. Stir in the shell pasta, and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the shells are cooked but still firm, about 10 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
- Mix the mushrooms, green pepper, and onion in a bowl. To stuff the shells, spoon about 1 teaspoon of tomato sauce into a shell; sprinkle with the mushroom, green pepper, and onion mixture. Top the shell with about 1 tablespoon of Monterey Jack cheese. Repeat for remaining shells and filling, and place the stuffed shells into a 9x13-inch baking dish side by side and touching. Place several slices of mini pepperoni on each shell. Pour the remaining tomato sauce gently around the shells.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the cheese is melted and browned and the pepperoni slices are crisp, about 30 minutes.
- Cook's Note
- Try it with the onions lightly caramelized. Goes very good with the cheese.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 637 calories; 30.4 g fat; 66.5 g carbohydrates; 28.3 g protein; 63 mg cholesterol; 1139 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 6
I loved this! Hubby did, too, though he would have preferred it without the green peppers (my fault - thought he liked them!) I tweaked it a bit - used mozzarella cheese and crushed red pepper i...
Delicious take on pizza and stuffed shells! I only used one can of tomatoes thinking it would have been too much, but next time I will use both. I did had some crushed red pepper and garlic po...
YUM! I added in some ricotta that needed to be used and some cooked, crumbled hot sausage that I had in the freezer. I just mixed it all together (including the pepperoni) and filled the shells....