Italian Orzo Stuffed Peppers
Ingredients1 h 5 m servings 220
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a deep casserole dish with 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- In a large pot, boil salted water for orzo; cook until al dente, following package instruction. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water.
- In the meantime, cook onion and garlic in a large saucepan with a tablespoon of olive oil and a teaspoon of salt over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Heat until soft and golden, about 6 minutes. Remove half of onion, garlic and oil mixture; set aside. Add ground meat to the saucepan. Saute until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and combine meat with orzo, reserved pasta water, chopped parsley (saving 1 tablespoon for garnishing) and oregano. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Line bottom of casserole dish with tomatoes and top with the remaining half of the onion, garlic and oil saute. Arrange vegetable halves, cut side up, in the tomato sauce. Divide orzo-meat filling between vegetables, and cover dish with foil. Bake until vegetables are tender, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Spoon some of the pan juices and tomatoes on top of each vegetable before serving. Garnish with parsley.
- * We used red & yellow peppers and zucchini.
Per Serving: 220 calories; 10 18.6 13.9 42 488 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
This was an excellent recipe! I have had stuffed peppers before and have always been disappointed. One thing I changed: I added 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese to the meat mixture and then...
I used ground sirloin, and I sprayed the pan with cooking spray to cut the olive oil down. I left the salt out b/c I thought the 28 oz can of tomatoes I used would be salty enough, this was a mi...