Mom's Chicken En Cocotte
Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 644 cals
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Pour the olive oil into the bottom of a heavy Dutch oven, and place over medium heat. Sprinkle the chicken pieces with salt and black pepper, and cook in the hot oil until browned on both sides, 5 to 8 minutes per side. Add the carrots, potatoes, celery, onion, garlic, chicken bouillon cubes, and water, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, and cover the Dutch oven.
- Place the Dutch oven into the preheated oven, and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- I use leg quarters and fix 2 more than I need for future use. 1 cube bouillon and 1 package of dry onion soup (2 green onion if your want the color); we started using an oven bag and prepared the bag as directed on the box instead of frying the chicken as before. Mom also had us place all items in bag, plus dry onion soup and one cube of bouillon instead. With the leftovers, we made chicken vegetable soup.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 644 calories; 25.1 g fat; 61.5 g carbohydrates; 42.9 g protein; 113 mg cholesterol; 601 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 7
This is a geat recipe. I omit the water and use a 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes. The tomatoes add a wonderful flavor. When cooking with bag you get plenty of liquid to use with the leftovers for ...
I made this with skinless, bone-in chicken thighs, and seasoned w/ salt and sage. Used chicken broth instead of the bouillon/water, and added about a cup of pinot grigio to deglaze after I had ...
This was a very simple recipe, but, so tasty! I added some some lemon pepper and rubbed sage to the chicken for additional flavor and used only about 1 cup of liquid. The chicken was moist an...
I followed the recipe as written. It was very flavorful and the chicken was great. Even my pickiest child, who normally won't eat chicken or potatoes, ate it all up!
The only small change I made to this was using a 3 qt cooker and unsalted vegy broth! I added fresh tyme witch really was good. Since I am only cooking for two I half the recipe and this rec...