Ingredients2 h 5 m servings 173
- Place the sourdough starter, water, olive oil, salt, sugar, yeast, and flour in that order into the pan of a bread machine, set the machine on the dough cycle, and start the machine.
- After the machine has finished its cycle, turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and knead several times; mix in more flour if the dough is very sticky. Cut the dough in half, and roll each piece of dough out into a rectangle about 8 by 12 inches and 1/2-inch thick. Roll the rectangles into loaves the long way, pinch the seams, and taper and pinch the ends of the loaves.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, and sprinkle paper with cornmeal. Place the loaves gently onto the prepared baking sheets, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Place a large baking stone onto the center rack of oven, and place a baking dish onto a lower rack. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Carefully pour boiling water into the baking dish.
- Remove plastic wrap from loaves, and slash several 1/2-inch deep cuts into each loaf with a sharp knife. Whisk egg yolk and milk together in a small bowl until thoroughly mixed, and brush the loaves with the egg yolk mixture.
- Place the loaves into the preheated oven on top of the baking stone, and quickly spray the inside of the oven 4 or 5 times with a water-filled spray bottle. Shut oven door; wait 1 minute, and spray again; repeat twice more, spraying the oven 4 times with water at 1-minute intervals.
- Bake about 15 minutes, and remove the water-filled baking dish. Continue to bake until the bread is browned and the loaves make a hollow sound when thumped, about 15 more minutes. Remove bread to cool on racks.
- Cook's Notes
- The sourdough starter is a large amount, so be sure to make it ahead of time if you don't have enough.
- The bread machine, baking stone, and spraying of the oven are all optional and serve to make a more perfect loaf of French bread.
Per Serving: 173 calories; 1.3 34 5.8 13 156 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 15
A baguette must be crispy on the outside and chewy inside. This was not a baguette.
I had the starter made already, and kneading is difficult for me so I was intrigued by this recipe, which starts out in the bread machine......I was NOT disappointed!!!!!! I'd give it more star...
SAM, WHERE DO I GET THE SOURDOUGH STARTER RECIPE? I WOULD LOVE TO TRY THE FRENCH BREAD. IT SOUNDS WONDERFUL
For a Starter, just type sour dough starter in the search and it will bring a few up so you can pick the one you would like. This recipe was simple to make. It tastes wonderful!
I just made this recipe and it was perfect. the outside crunchy and the inside beautifully moist. I used 2 cups of whole wheat flour with 2 cups of white flour. I also did not use egg whites or ...
Super recipe! I make a lot of bread using the bread machine with Dough cycle. I spray the dough when it's ready to rise with an olive oil or good quality cooking spray to keep dough from getting...