Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients45 m servings 455 cals
Original recipe yields 12 servings (1 cake)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two 8-inch round cake pans with flour no-stick cooking spray.
- Beat egg whites with 1/3 cup sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until thick and glossy but not stiff. Transfer to another bowl.
- Combine cake flour, remaining 1 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Add orange peel, orange juice, milk, oil and egg yolks. Beat at medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bottom and sides of bowl often. Fold egg whites into batter until well blended. Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until center springs back when touched lightly and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.
- Beat powdered sugar, shortening and orange peel in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add orange juice gradually, beating until desired consistency. Add more juice as needed.
- Place one cake layer top side down onto serving dish. Spread top of with frosting. Top with second layer. Frost sides and top of cake.
Per Serving: 455 calories; 14.4 g fat; 81 g carbohydrates; 3.3 g protein; 32 mg cholesterol; 294 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
Though the frosting came out more like an icing, it was still delish! I'm definitely making these again!