Ingredients2 h 10 m servings 323 cals
- Bring 1 1/2 cups of seasoned rice vinegar to a boil in a saucepan, and mix in the 2 pieces of crushed ginger root, shallots, red pepper flakes, 1/4 cup of light brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Stir until the brown sugar and salt have dissolved, and remove from heat. Place watermelon rind into a large heatproof nonreactive bowl, and strain the pickling liquid through a fine mesh strainer into the watermelon rind. Stir to combine, and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate. Chop the bacon into pieces when cooled.
- For dressing, place 1/2 cup of peeled and chopped ginger, garlic, lime juice, 1 cup of seasoned rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons of light brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and cilantro stems in a blender. Blend on high speed, scraping down blender sides occasionally, until the ginger and cilantro stems are pulverized and the dressing is thoroughly blended.
- To assemble, place about 1 cup of watermelon cubes onto a salad plate, and drizzle with about 2 tablespoons of the dressing. Top with about 2 tablespoons of the pickled rind, 1 to 2 tablespoons of bacon bits, 1 tablespoon of cilantro leaves, and about 1/2 tablespoon of chopped green onion, or to taste.
- Editor's Note
- Buy a large seedless watermelon, and use all the flesh and about half the rind to make the salad.
Per Serving: 323 calories; 8.7 g fat; 55.1 g carbohydrates; 10.1 g protein; 20 mg cholesterol; 2461 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
Completely addictive! We cut the pickle and dressing recipes in half, and used one "personal" watermelon to make 8 servings (use an entire pound of bacon, though -- the bacon really makes the d...
This was refreshing and very tasty. Perfect as a side dish for a summer meal. I used a personal sized melon for the two of us but I would use a regular sized watermelon in the future because the...